3.26.2007

Monday Survival Story



In case anyone missed it while CNN and Fox News I'm sure (I don't have cable) inundated America with this kid who wandered off from his Boy Scout troop and got lost in the woods for a few days.





Turns out he and his family are crediting The Hatchet by Gary Paulson as one of several reasons he was able to make it on his own so long.

I don't recall when I read this book, but I do remember it had a huge impact on what I thought my potential was. It's the story of a kid who survives a plane crash in the Canadian wilderness and lives off the land with nothing more than a hatchet. I would definitely credit this book for some of my adventurous spirit.

I imagine most people could never imagine themselves stuck in a similar situation as either of these two kids. And that's a shame. Everyone deserves to have a chance at adventure and to see what they're made of. So if you have a kid, might have kids someday or need a break for an afternoon: buy this book.

No comments: